Tuesday, October 2, 2007

McLuhan and Music

ohh-back to McLuhan...I have such fond memories have that guy--not from real life, but from first year, and pr0bably more critical responses as well...because I suppose all that this article brought up for me was the importance of making your own art, your own music. Maybe class will draw out the points made it in the article, but for now I think that this is a good resting point. I believe that we are all meant to engage in the creative process just for the sake of it, and as a mode of being in the world!! but are taught through the commodification of music and other art forms, and moreover because of the glamorization of the artistes themselves- that art/being an artist is ________
a lifestyle, a calling, reserved for some, a freak etc etc- you fill in the blank. Then we end up completely idolizing regular folk to their detriment and our own.

Here is where I link my song, 'cept it is on a cassette and I don't know how to do that, but you should send me your stuff--link it here________

The End.
L

1 comment:

Svenborg said...

Thanks for your thoughts. I am Svenborging tonight - cracking the whip as it were. Can't wait to hear/read your response to Arendt. Just to be clear, you don't have to respond to the reading before the class. I've asked people to respond to the readings and the discussion after the class.